Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Peanut

Avery's peanut ball (aka "horse substitute") arrived in the mail last week. It took me a little while to finally buy one, because when I started shopping around I discovered that they come in all sorts of sizes, from about 12" diametre to something like 56", so I wasn't sure what size would be best. I thought that the larger sizes would obviously be closer to the size of a horse and would give her a great stretch, but the smaller sizes would offer her more independent balancing opportunity. So I asked Lisa, her PT, what she thought, and she said that it would be best if Avery was able to touch the ground, so we decided on a 16" ball. SO here it is!
Avery loves it because she loves bouncing and jumping. And it's interesting because you can see it working: when she first sits on it she can touch the ground only with her toes, but the longer she sits and moves on it the more relaxed and pliable her muscles get and pretty soon she's able to comfortably put both feet on the ground. So we've moved the table out of the TV room so that there is more floor space, the idea being that every time she watches TV she can sit on her peanut and get a good amount of stretching and exercise in. It's definitely a good investment in my book, and Avery loves her new toy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Syme Family News said...

That is amazing. I love following her growth. :)