Thursday, April 16, 2009

You should read this, you'll like it :)

My husband emailed me an article about a girl with hydrocephalus and cerebral palsy today. I'm keeping a copy of it, I think this girl is inspirational, and she gives me high hopes for Avery :)
Find the whole article here.

"It really bugged me when I was little because I couldn't run as fast as the other kids or do some of the things that they did," Allen said. "One of the biggest effects of cerebral palsy is balance. When we were little, someone brought in a balance beam that was just an inch off the ground, and it was easy for the other kids, but I had to step on the ground a couple dozen times. I've had to wear glasses my entire life and I've always been picked on a little bit. But I've learned to cope."

Encouraged by her mother and older brother, Ray, Allen began running cross country and track as a seventh-grader at Memorial Middle School. She had to walk part of the course to complete her first cross country race, but she's been hooked on competitive running ever since.

"That sparked my interest to get strong enough to run a whole race, and I've never had to walk another race again," Allen said. "After I got good enough to run the whole race, my goal has always been to get out of last place, and that's something I've clung to my whole running career."

7 comments:

Sherri said...

Thanks for sharing this! An inspiration for sure :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Article, thanks for sharing!

SuzanSayz said...

That was so encouraging! Thanks for sharing that Josephine. I love seeing these dear children surpassing all of the odds and doing things their parents were told their children would never be able to do.

Kristen said...

That is an inspiration for sure. It encourages me too and makes me wonder how far little Cayman just might be able to get in life.

Sue.Aleen said...

Thanks for sharing this. Lift my spirit up!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this. Im amazed to learn that this dear girl lives in my community! While the doctors before Alivia was born gave a doomed and gloomy prognosis, Alivias doctors now say "only Alivia, can show us what she can and cant do." Our children will continue to amaze us beyond our dreams!!!

David said...

i clicked on your ad. maybe now your account has $48! :)